By now I’m sure many seniors have heard that the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare. So much has been talked about, written about and expounded on for the past two years that many of us have lost sight of what this law will do to help vulnerable people, especially seniors. Here are just a few highlights of the law that are of benefit to older adults.
- Insurance companies will no longer be allowed to deny you coverage because of a pre-existing condition, such as asthma, cancer, diabetes or heart disease.
- Insurance companies will no longer be allowed to charge women more then men for the same coverage.
- Preventive care will be covered free of charge for mammograms for women and wellness visits for seniors
- 5.3 million seniors will save approximately $600 a year on prescription drugs
- Efforts will continue to protect Medicare by cracking down on waste, fraud and abuse
- You continue to have a choice of insurance coverage
These are just a few of the benefits to seniors. For more information on the Affordable Care Act go to www.whitehouse.gov.
– By Marcia Hickey, Vice President, Strategic Initiatives